Role of NOC
The IAU National Outreach Contacts (NOC)
- The NOC should demonstrate rich knowledge and experience in astronomy outreach activities.
- The NOC should demonstrate good connection with relevant stakeholders, like the professional astronomers, astronomy educators, planetariums, science centres and amateur astronomer communities in the nation.
- The NOC should demonstrate full access of resources, on his/her own or through his/her delegates, to coordinate, direct and support the work described below.
- Ideally, the NOC should demonstrate good connection with the government policy makers.
- The NOC will be nominated by the IAU International Outreach Coordinator (IOC), with the approval of the IAU General Secretary.
- The term of the NOC will be for a maximum of 3 years, starting at the end of an IAU General Assembly or any later date, and end at the next IAU General Assembly.
- The term can be renewed at the time of the General Assembly upon the recommendation of the IAU IOC with the approval of the IAU General Secretary.
- The appointment can be terminated at anytime if the IOC found the NOC’s work is unsatisfactory, after consultation with the IAU General Secretary.
- If the appointment is tier to a position not a person, any change over of the personale shall immediately inform the IOC.
- To act as a communication hub between the IAU (through the IAU Office for Astronomy Outreach [OAO]) and the relevant stakeholders in the respective country, for astronomy outreach related affairs.
- To communicate and coordinate with the IAU National Membership body – the National Committee of Astronomy, if the country is an IAU national member, for any joining efforts.
- To disseminate the IAU outreach news and initiatives to the local outreach communities, and coordinate, direct or advice for any necessary actions.
- To keep a database of people and organisations involved in astronomy outreach within their country.
- To support the implementation of global astronomy outreach projects at national level.
- The NOC doesn’t necessarily lead the national implementation of global projects, but he/she should mobilize the communities to participate in the global projects.
- The contact details of the NOC will be available online, he/she shall respond to the public requests for different purposes.
- To inform the IAU Office for Astronomy Outreach any major national or multinational events.
- To support the IAU IOC’s national work, e.g. verify the status of an astronomy-related organization.
- To identify volunteers to help for translation work.
- To submit a one-page report annually about outreach activities in his/her country and whenever possible should include details about the activities, like number of activities, number of people engaged and other relevant information.
- A deputy NOC may be appointed to support the NOC’s work.
- The nomination of the deputy NOC can either be recommended by the NOC himself/herself, or appointed by the IAU IOC.
Support from OAO
- The NOC may arrange a time to meet with the IAU IOC to discuss about the outreach works at national levels through video conference or face-to-face meeting.
- If the NOC can fund his/her airfare to Tokyo, Japan for a visit to OAO, the OAO will provide free accommodation for his/her stay at NAOJ campus in Tokyo.
IAU General Assembly 2018
IAU Office of Astronomy for Development
Astronomy for Development
Strategic Plan 2010–2020
Symposia and Meetings
IAU Office for Astronomy Outreach
IAU Office for Young Astronomers
International School for Young Astronomers
Astronomy Outreach Newsletters and Events
Volume 2017 n° 2
Subscribe to the e-Newsletter
UNESCO-IAU Portal to the Heritage of Astronomy